Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Ukrainian Life for Me

Here is my life the past week, not in any particular order.

Me and the basic reading kiddos

These are the contents of our singing time bag. Can you figure out what pictures are for what children's songs? Kalley and I made them and we are pretty proud.

For the letter P day I surprised the kids with popcorn. They were a lot more excited about it in real life, like the tackling me and kissing me on the cheeks screaming kind of excited.

We've basically had the best luck finding awesome people here. We met a lady named Victoria on the metro once. She teaches English and was really excited about meeting Americans. She invited us to lunch last Saturday. We went to an Italian/Japanese Restaurant called Mafia. Very interesting....but really good! And she was so great. We loved our lunch date and were especially excited about the balloons she insisted we took home. A heart shaped balloon with "Mafia" written on it. Lovely!
So there is this awesome statue here in Ukraine called "Big Mama." At least, that's what we tourists call it, I'm not sure what the Ukrainian name is. We've been wanting to go see her this whole time and we finally went on Saturday! Our coordinator said that once an American said "There are two pretty things about Big Mama. She's pretty big and she's pretty ugly." Sad, but kind of true. It was awesome though! There is a WWII museum underneath the statue. It was the first museum I've been to with absolutely no English translations. Luckily, our coordinator explained things and I learned a lot. It was a good day!





Our branch is pretty much the best thing ever. On Sunday night we met in a Sister's home to watch the General Relief Society Meeting we missed a few weeks earlier. It was good food, good company, and GOOD inspiration. Seriously, I don't care who you are, if you haven't heard President Uchtdorf's talk, you need to read it now. It was so incredible. The whole night was needed.
Awkard family photo(but look at that beautiful apartment we are in. That is how you know it is embassy housing, not Ukrainian).

Here is a crappy picture, but it's the only one I have with my ukulele. I was playing it while we were waiting for someone at the metro station and a guy came up and stuck his hat out. He was trying to tell us to put a hat out for money. Too bad we can't take it here, because I think we could actually make some, just because we are foreigners. And making money again would be sweet. Oh well. But I still love my ukulele. And I think I've named her, but now is not the time to announce it.




4 comments:

  1. BAH. The uke and you. I want to be there too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA i love the mafia balloon. and i loved talking to you today. 422 forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, you are SO amazing. I wanna be you when I grow up. What fun adventures you are having. I hope you are having fun and keep bloggin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes yes yes yes yes. i just love every second of your life! i can' wait for you to go to austria! be safe and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete