Monday, September 5, 2011

Is this real life?

Ukraine so far has been.....everything. It is has been awful, wonderful, sad, terrifying, beautiful, smelly, fun, disgusting, and happy. It has only been 5 days, but possibly some of the longest 5 days of my life. Here is a summary of my trip so far.
Day One/Day Two (Who knows which was which):
I left my house at 5:45 a.m. September 1st after spending the entire night smashing things into suitcases and weighing them over and over to make sure they would qualify. My whole life the next 4 months packed up in 2 check bags, a carry on, and a backpack. Saying goodbye to America for the longest period of time I will ever be away from home so far in my life. It was terrifying, it was exciting. I waved my last goodbye to my dad at the airport walking through security thinking "what in the world am I thinking?!” That thought didn’t seem to fade away for the next 36 hours filled with flights and layovers.

We arrived in Kiev, were picked up by a man named Igor at the airport and smashed into a tiny car to be driven to our host family’s home. I found out I was roommates with a girl named Kalley, something very unlikely in host families. But I was secretly grateful to know I wouldn’t be travelling alone to buses and metros (one of my biggest fears here.) We are in the middle of the city and to be honest, our part of town is pretty ghetto. We live on the 11th floor of an old apartment (my favorite number!). The elevator is teensy weensy and it sounds like it will snap every time we ride it. It is like the tower of terror, which I love, but I don’t prefer that in real life! Igor introduced us to our host mom Larisa. The crazy thing is, I recognized her! I followed a friend of a friend's blog about Ukraine that basically inspired me to come here. And Larisa was her host mom a year ago! Insane! She speaks basically NO English. Her husband died 5 years ago and her daughter is moved out. She is accompanied by 2 cats, 3 dogs, and a bird. I’ve only seen the cats because they stand outside our bedroom door waiting for us and follow us everywhere if we let them. The dogs are locked up in Larisa’s bedroom and kitchen…rooms we’ve never seen. Our bedroom is small with two beds and a covered balcony that has a gorgeous view of the city! The room next to us is a little office where we are served our meals. This was our meal the first night.

Not the best thing after airline food and lots of traveling. I was extremely homesick the first night. Jet lag wasn’t helping when I was stuck awake in the middle of the night. Let’s be honest, I cried for about 2 hours in my bed. I have not been that homesick for ages! I don’t know if it was culture shock or knowing I wouldn’t be home for 4 months, but it got me and has lingered for a while.
Day Three:
We woke up early to learn our route from bus to metro to the school we’d be teaching at. We had a little adventure getting money out of the ATM and stopping by the grocery store. Laria and I had our first experience with charades trying to buy something at the bakery. I felt really stupid, but we succeeded because we got this little crescent filled with cream thing for maybe 25 cents. It was not as good as it seemed it might be.

Homesickness hit again after returning to the apartment. It was cured with a skype call to home (just voices, no video yet). Just being able to have a line of communication home made everything seem better. It gave me the little boost of strength I needed to be more positive and love this adventure! I was on a happiness high after the call and went out to my balcony to play ukulele. I just sang and played and read the scriptures while overlooking a gorgeous view of the city of Kiev. Who would have ever predicted I’d be in such a place?! But there is no better place for me to be right now and I know that.
Day Four:
One of the best days of my life. Woke up early to try to find our way to church. After 2 hours of chaos, we made it! We met up with girls along the way and ended up getting on the metro going the wrong direction. We got to the meeting place a half hour late and everyone was gone. I finally got a hold of the girl that had the directions, but our bus was nowhere to be found. It ended up being a blessing that we took the wrong metro because that timing made it so we ran into other girls from ILP that didn’t have phones and didn’t know where to go. Bus 26 was the one we needed and we realized it far across the street of traffic. Knowing this was our only chance to make it to church on time, Laria ran across the street yelling and putting her hand up to stop cars. We all didn’t even hesitate as we ran after her. It was a sight to see! A dozen American girls in bright church clothes running straight through Ukraine traffic screaming. If we hadn’t made such a scene, I think we would’ve been yelled at, but instead we just got really confused looks. The last girl jumped in the bus right as the doors closed. Miracle! Our prayers were answered and we made it to church just a few minutes late. We are in an International Branch that is absolutely incredible. The ILP girls (and one boy…poor thing) now dominate the branch. Fast and testimony meeting was very powerful. The spirit was so strong and familiar, even in a tiny room thousands of miles away from home in a foreign country. I can’t express enough how wonderful it was. I’m so excited to be a part of it while I’m here.

Our shocked faces that we even made on to this bus safely after our run through traffic!


After church we all met in central park for a training meeting with all of ILP. We walked around a goreous part of Kiev. I didn’t think it was possible after seeing the area we live in. I think I should just set up a tent in central park.

The Opera house


Laria and I imitating the girls all around Ukraine posing for pictures

Sarah squared from SLC showing our Ute pride outside "The Red University"

The day ended with our first meal of borscht, a famous Ukrainian dish, and “apple compost” to drink. Whatever that may be….I think it looks like fruit that has gone through a disposal added to a cup of water. It was warm and gross.

Day 5:
Is not yet over, but is has been SO good. It has been our first day teaching. Kalley and I are teaching in Center school from 9:00-1:00. The kids are so adorable and smart. I can already tell I’m going to love this!! Here are pictures of two of them.


So that is life here in Ukraine! Sorry for such a long post….I had to cram it all in. But before I go here are a few more pictures just for fun.

How could I resist taking a picture of a hidden mickey in our grapes?!

I know you wish you had pink toilet paper too.

Last, but not least dedicated to Sam. You are all over here!

4 comments:

  1. sarah!!!!!!! i am so glad you got this blog up and running! (it turned out cute.) you'll get less and less homesick as time goes on! i'm so happy to hear about your adventures! post all the time, please! love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! i needed to see this. so excited. love you soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. So different than my experience.... yet we're in the same program. Way to be Sarah! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah West,

    I am learning the Ukulele. Um, when you get home we got to talk all about it. I miss you so. I work at the Phonathon today...and it won't be the same without you. Also, I keep looking for your lovely face all around campus...and forget you are not here! But, I am so glad you are in an awesome, beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete