Monday, December 12, 2011

Goodnight! Sleep Tight!

My little Ukrainian bed has brought me two surprises recently. Surprise number one. I found out a few days ago that my bed is made of hay. Real hay. The reason I never noticed was because I have a thin pad on top of it. The other day I lifted that pad up to find three couch cushions full of hay. That would explain all the hay pieces under my bed. I don't know what I thought they were before. Awesome, I've slept on hay for over 3 months and never noticed. Surprise number two. I started organizing my stuff to pack (ah!) and when I pulled my black boots out from under the bed (now gray from cat hair/dust bunnies) I decided to do some cleaning. I don't think my host mom has ever cleaned under that thing because I have never seen so much dust! Well I took some toilet paper and started reaching around under there. When I reached in the top corner at the foot of my bed I pulled out a wonderful sight. A bunch of dead maggots! Or weevils....or whatever you call them. Just a bunch of little bugs! Luckily dead! But still. That would confirm the worries I had about bed bugs. When I first got here I had bites all over my legs, but they went a way for a while. More recently I've gotten a few on my stomach. GROSS. Proof that ignorance is bliss. Thank goodness I discovered this my last week, not my first! "Goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite!" finally has actual meaning in my life.

1 comment:

  1. weevils is the weirdest word ever. sleep tight, don't let the weevils bite. i love you! you get home so soon. anna and i are coming to the airport. we are so excited to see you. i will practically be waiting with a mug of hot chocolate in my hand.

    kisses and weevils,
    your 422

    ReplyDelete